Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Matthew Shepard Act: A Paleoconservative Lesbian's Perspective

The Matthew Shepard Act, a bill recently passed by the Senate, is now awaiting the approval and signature of President Obama. The bill extends federal hate crimes laws to include crimes inflicted on victims due to his or her gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. Its origins lie in a 1998 crime in which Matthew Shepard, a teenage boy, was supposedly tortured and murdered for being gay.

Many people would expect me to support this bill. After all, I am a lesbian. However, I don't support this bill at all. In fact, I vehemently oppose it. Now before you accuse me of suffering from Stockholm syndrome, as Janeane Garofalo would do, please hear me out. As much compassion as I have for Matthew Shepard and his family - as well as for other gays and transgender people killed because of the way they are - I have plenty of reasons for opposing this bill.

First of all, let me say this: I believe in equal protection of all individuals, regardless of immutable differences such as race, gender, nationality, background, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. What hate crimes legislation seeks to do is enact a form of collectivist thought process - that rights should be given to groups rather than individuals. While this type of legislation seeks to combat discrimination, it does the exact opposite. Giving special rights to one group over another is discrimination by the government. If someone murders another person because they are gay, shouldn't they receive the same sentence as a drug dealer who murders a customer for not getting their drug payments in on time?

Collectivism is the enemy of the individual. By thinking of everybody in terms of groups, you start to give preferences. While our U.S. Constitution gives the individual the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, our government officials want to go the collectivist route instead and victimize those who have been oppressed in the name of "social justice."

I have something to say to those who want to use minorities as pawns for their own political gain: As a Native American lesbian girl, I don't want your pity! While other gays will be tricked into thinking that this is something they should support, I, for one, will not buy into this little scheme. I am much stronger than that. If you don't think I have as much potential as a straight, white male, you're wrong. I am more than my skin color, I am more than my gender, and I am more than my sexual orientation. Those are things I was born with, and I shouldn't be receiving any pity treatment just because I'm a minority. It feels demeaning when I am judged for what is on the outside rather than the content of my character.

You can try to lure me in all you want by saying, "You poor thing. You need special protection under the law." Just know that it won't work! It never will. I am much more than some little chess piece for your stupid political gain. I am an individual, and there is no other person like me on the face of the earth. That goes for the rest of you, too. Don't think that all you are is the person you appear to be. You are much more than that. You may be of a certain race, but that doesn't compromise your entire character. You may be of a certain gender, but you're more than that boy or girl those magazines and television shows make you out to be. You may even suffer from a disorder, but you're more than that. You are an individual, and no one on earth is like you. You have your own separate talents and gifts to offer to the world. Your individual pursuit is the greatest pursuit of all. Don't ever forget that.

The politicians up on the hill are going to try to get people locked up for saying things like, "God hates fags." Honestly, though, I don't need to be babied by Big Mommy Government. Free speech, no matter how stupid or offensive, is a First Amendment right and a personal freedom. I'm sick and tired of hearing all these so-called "hate speech" accusations coming out of people who want to ban speech they simply don't like. If someone calls me a fag, I can just fire back and say, "And I'm not ashamed of it either! Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Let people have a right to oppose homosexuality. Not everything people have to say is hateful, and even if it is, that's their right. We have the power as individuals to voice our opinions as well, and we can't let some oppressive power structure take that away from us. Free speech and the pursuit of the individual are the greatest threats to the government there is. We the people need to stand up and protect our rights, preserve our principles, and fight for liberty no matter what sacrifices we have to make. We are Americans, and it is time for us to say, "Give me liberty or give me death!"

Have a fabulous day. God bless you, and God bless America.

2 comments:

  1. Great article Michelle!

    I may get locked up soon for saying this, but I believe that gender identity disorder, IS a disorder, and that sexual orientation is not immutable like someone's skin color.

    However I have to say I really respect your views on such a topic tm, and I don't respect "Christians" who treat gays and lesbians like dirt tm.

    Hate the sin and not the sinner, "God hates fags" will only alienate them... That's all I have to say tm

    your friend in Christ,
    - Politikart tm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle Rosalyn MatthewsOctober 15, 2009 at 8:10 PM

    I like that you're tolerant, and most Christians are that way! Likewise, I'm tolerant of your beliefs, but many gays would rather believe that those who oppose homosexuality are "homophobic bigots." It really ticks me off.

    ReplyDelete